Galavant

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  jasonmalony 7 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

jazzhands
    Participant

The musical comedy TV series just ended its first season in the states. Personally found it very enjoyable. It was done by the team who did Disney’s Tangled. Alan Menken who had done so many Disney classics, is one Emmy away from becoming an EGOT, and this will probably do it. Each episode features several songs and they are all very nice. The male lead Joshua Sasse, though at the moment is more well known for his TV work , had done musical productions on the West End and has a strong singing voice, not to mention very easy on the eyes.

I highly recommend everyone to find a way to chech this out.

Galavant

jazzhands
    Participant

The only downside(very light spoilers) is that the first season kind of ended on a cliffhanger. And at the moment we don’t know if it would get renewed for a second season. Fingers crossed though.

BTW apologies for the misspelling, ugh. Should have spell-checked.

jazzhands
    Participant

Oh one more thing, one of the former Mary Poppins ensemble member/Bert understudy Drew Weston had a smallish role in the show. He was one of the monks in an episode and was in a group music number. I saw that part and thought to myself “wait where did I saw that guy before” and then it hit me. I wasn’t sure and I didn’t remember his last name so had to web search a bit, but apparently that indeed was him. He put it in his own bio.

http://londontheatreworkshop.co.uk/about-the-40c-cast/

jazzhands
    Participant

Okay I’m shamelessly posting this gif from the show. Watch it if you can track it down!

Galavant

kels_thelegend
    Participant

I didn’t love it. It’s obviously not to be taken seriously but I thought it was pretty awful. There were a couple fun songs but on the whole I was disappointed with the music considering it’s Alan Menken.

I thought that was Drew Weston! Wasn’t listed on IMDb –
    Thanks for confirming!

kels_thelegend
    Participant

I’ve never liked medieval stuff though- not my cup of tea

jazzhands
    Participant

Hi kels, I actually kind of agree with you. The songs are not Alan Menken’s best work. But we have to keep in mind this is after all just a TV show. Movies & stage musicals usually have lots of rewrites over a long period of time, but he had maybe a few months tops to do all these several dozens songs in season 1.

kels_thelegend
    Participant

But compared to Smash… Which had absolutely amazing music…

jasonmalony
    Participant

Indeed, one of the best theatrical event that I have seen. Performers are so energetic, cool and professional with their performance. And for sure they are a product of reliable improvisation and acting agency, which most of experts actors have gone to.

Regards,
    Jason

• This reply was modified 6 months, 2 weeks ago by Matt Edwards Matt Edwards.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.