Ghost

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MissT 1 year ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author

Lou
    Participant

I’m looking forward to finally seeing Ghost!

I think Millsy is a great choice for Sam, and now I’m keen to see who else they’ve cast. Hopefully they announce something soon.

Does anyone have any news, rumours, guesses, etc?

Lou
    Participant

Replying to my own post here ;P

I’m just making a guess here, but if you have a look at the guest performers at the RGE concert Millsy is listed right next to Jemma Rix and Mark Vincent. If I was going to predict the casting for Molly and Carl then these two would be very high on the list. Perhaps a coincidence, but maybe a preview of Ghost?

…”guest artists performing at the concert will include musical theatre performers Rob Mills and Jemma Rix, Dirty Dancing star Mark Vincent,” …

Sam
    Participant

Sorry to disagree Lou, but I’m really disappointed by the casting of Mills. There is so much talent in this country and it disappoints me to see a C grade performer like Mills taking roles because he has a bit of a known name. I’ve seen him in performance where he’s ‘bragged’ about his lack of interest in musicals, and it saddens me to see him ‘slumming’ it in musicals because he can’t make it in the pop/rock industry.

Lou
    Participant

Hmm… I’m not sure what performance you’re referring to, but I don’t think I could believe that anyway. Millsy has never struck me as someone who would think being in musicals was ‘slumming it’. Surely if he wasn’t enthusiastic about musicals and willing to work hard there would be plenty of easier jobs. I’m not sure how long its been since he’s released any new music (10 years maybe? I can’t remember), but if he wanted to make it as a pop star then perhaps he should actually release some songs 😉 .

I definitely agree with you that there’s masses of incredible talent here, and I love that. I’d love for casting (or any job for that matter) to be based purely on talent and suitability for the role, but realistically there is a lot more that comes into it. Commercial musicals have to be profitable or the entire industry suffers. If it takes a bit of ‘bums on seats’ casting to make a show profitable, then so be it.

Mills probably did get the job because he’s a known name, but I think this is a role that he’ll be excellent at.

jazzhands
    Participant

When will the rest of cast be announced?

Sam
    Participant

The trouble is when ‘bums on seats’ casting is misguided (Alan Jones in anything). In terms of ‘Ghost’, I think it’s the title that will sell the show. I don’t think the presence of Rob Mills is going to contribute many bums on seats. In that case, why not cast someone who can actually act and make the show the best possible production it can be?

Lou
    Participant

http://i57.tinypic.com/2j47lkz.jpg

I was having a look at facebook earlier this morning and noticed this post. Its since been taken down, but I took a screenshot (I hadn’t refreshed my facebook feed on my phone so it was still there). I’m not sure why it was taken down. Maybe there will be an official announcement soon?

Anyone with a name like that definitely deserves the role! Also she’s been in the UK and Asian touring cast.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by  Lou.

jazzhands
    Participant

According to the Daily Telegraph, Jemma Rix is finally rid of the green paint in her hairline and is preparing to step into another lead role – that of Molly Jensen in Ghost the Musical! Rix has proven herself as a force to be reckoned with in the Aussie theatre world, and we can’t wait to see what she does with Demi Moore’s famous role.

Also announced to be joining the cast of Ghost is Alex Rathgeber, playing the role of Carl Bruner. Due to wrap up his Helpmann winning role of Billy Crocker in Anything Goes over the next few weeks, fans are already looking forward to what he will bring to the vastly different role in Ghost.

No word yet on other significant casting for the show (apart from the previously announced Rob Mills), set to open in January next year.

jazzhands
    Participant

Sorry I forgot to post a link. I copied it from theatrepeople.

Lou
    Participant

oh wow! The cast sounds amazing!

jazzhands
    Participant

Confirmed: Full cast announced for Ghost The Musical

http://aussietheatre.com.au/news/confirmed-full-cast-announced-for-ghost-the-musical

As previously announced, the supernatural power of love will explode onto the Australian stage on 7 January 2016 headed by Wicked alumni Rob Mills as ‘Sam Wheat’ and Jemma Rix as ‘Molly Jensen’ and Helpmann Award winner Alex Rathgeber (Anything Goes) as ‘Carl Bruner’. British theatrical and television actress Wendy Mae Brown will join the company as ‘Oda Mae Brown’, the role made famous by Whoopi Goldberg in the 1990 film.

The Australian tour cast also includes, Ross Chisari as Willie Lopez; 2015 Rob Guest Endowment Finalist Blake Appleqvist, David Denis, Nicholas Eaton, Xander Ellis, Simon Fairweather, Samantha Hagen, Childi Mbakwe, Joshua Mulheran, Justine Puy, Elenoa Rokobaro, Monique Sallé, Drew Weston as well as Lydia Warr and Evette White direct from the US and Asian tour productions.

Wow so many people I really like in this ensemble… A bit upset I probably won’t be able to see it unless this cast tour this show further outside of Australia. I believe there are a few more markets that wasn’t covered by that current tour cast. New Zealand & The Philippines? I also heard some rumors that a few cities in China would very much like this show to go back for a second round.

jazzhands
    Participant

Full cast up on the official site as well.

http://www.ghostthemusical.com.au/cast/

Recognize five ensemble members from four previous shows that I loved.

stephie_elise
    Participant

It’s funny, I was right in Rob Mills’ target demographic in his Idol/pop star days and I couldn’t stand him, but I really like him in musical theatre. I definitely do not get the impression that he thinks he is ‘slumming it’ in musicals – quite the opposite actually. I heard an interview with him awhile ago and he actually said that while he’s tried being a pop star and doing TV, he just loves being part of the musical theatre family and feels that that is where he’s meant to be. In his cabaret show he also talked about how desperate he was to be in Wicked and how out of his depth and inexperienced he felt going into that audition. He is also frequently one to volunteer his time for Rob Guest Endowment concerts, etc. He’s also stuck with his roles for decent lengths of time (unlike Anthony Callea). All of that suggests to me that he is definitely committed to musical theatre.

I’m not a huge fan of Jemma Rix – I find her a bit boring – but I might like her more when I’m not comparing her to all the fierce Elphabas I know and love. That being said, I wouldn’t be at all disappointed to see Samm Hagen (who is understudying Molly) instead.

jazzhands
    Participant

It’s not officially announced yet but I heard this show is indeed going back to China later in the year and with the Australian cast! So excited! I didn’t see that previous international cast that toured but will try my best to see this cast a few times.

jazzhands
    Participant

I think the show will open in Melbourne? in a few days and would like to hear everybody’s thoughts on it. Anyone already seen this or will do in the next few months?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.