Ghost

This topic contains 23 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  MissT 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author

retfar
    Participant

Sad that Alex Rathgeber has departed the production. He was the reason I bought a ticket to see this. 🙁

jazzhands
    Participant

Oh no, what happened? Who is replacing him in the role?

jazzhands
    Participant

David Roberts

Looks like they brought in the actor who did the UK tour.

jazzhands
    Participant

Wow is this a new feature on this site?! Cool! :-0

retfar
    Participant

Yeah, cool feature!

I heard the role wasn’t a good fit for Alex’s voice and he left before any damage was done.

Sam
    Participant

Interesting (or perhaps not) that all the discussion on here about Ghost was before it opened. Once it opened the chat stopped.

I saw the show last night and oh, boy, what a dog of a show. I felt really sorry for the ensemble up there working their hardest but lumbered with such uninspired and lacklustre material. The score is generally bland and adds absolutely nothing to the story, the choreography looks like the work of Mr G, and the production just looks ugly and cumbersome. I felt sorry for Jemma Rix – nobody could have made anything of the bland writing of the character. And Rob Mills doesn’t have anywhere near the personality or charisma to bring his character to life.

It’s the first time in many years I’ve felt angry about being subjected to such substandard work. And it seems the audiences are staying away in droves. The theatre was maybe a quarter full and the applause were perfunctory at best.

It annoys me that there are so many wonderful new musicals out there, that will never get produced here, and we’re lumbered with this turd of a show

Lou
    Participant

@sam
    The reason I hardly ever bother going on this forum (and the reason why I hadn’t bothered putting my thoughts about Ghost up here when I saw it) is because I find that some people tend to use the forum just to complain about anything and everything about the industry. Everyone’s entitled to their opinions and I’m happy for everyone to express them on this forum, but I don’t find all the negativity pretty boring. I can recognise that there are faults in every show and that the industry isn’t perfect, but I find it much more interesting to talk about the things I love about musicals. I generally do that elsewhere and not on this forum because of the general level of negativity, so I don’t think you can extrapolate a lack of comments on here with a lack of comments about Ghost in real life.

I actually loved Ghost. I saw it twice, which is a big deal for me because I’m pretty broke. I loved the crazy emotional rollercoaster it put me on, I loved the romance, I loved the humour. The lead cast were all excellent, especially Jemma. I felt like those songs were just made for her, and it makes me sad that there won’t be a Australian cast recording because I’d love to hear them again. I thought Mills did his best acting yet and I definitely enjoyed his performance. I really enjoyed the clever use of projection screens and special effects. I’d been waiting to see Ghost for years, and it definitely exceeded my expectations. Both times I went the theatre looked around 80+% full with plenty of enthusiastic applause.

Sam
    Participant

I’ve made many posts on here, many of them positive so it’s just blatantly wrong to accuse me of “us[ing] the forum just to complain about anything and everything about the industry”

I love theatre and think Australian audiences deserve the very best – we certainly have the creative and performing talent to do that. There’s some exceptionally good theatre around at the moment, ‘Little Shop of Horrors’ is one of the most artistically successful shows I’ve seen in years – it’s a perfect production. And the the string of excellent productions at the Hayes has been inspiring.

It’s with this enormous potential in mind that I get angry with such inferior work as ‘Ghost’. The material is just terrible and feels like the work of creators who just don’t understand musicals. And I haven’t even gone into the deeply troubling racial issues at play in this work.

There are so many great, inspired new musicals being written, and so much talent in Australia, I find it deeply disappointing that we’re subjected to this poor quality work when you consider the potential. I also think it’s bad for the industry. The show is selling poorly (have a look at the ticketek website) and if new comers may come away from the show thinking “well, if that’s musical theatre I never wnat to see another show”

MissT
    Participant

I agree with you @sam – Ghost was dreadful! There was nothing good about it. My friend and I left at interval.

Viewing 9 posts - 16 through 24 (of 24 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.