Ruthless Aspirations: The Charismatic Journey of Dolly Diamond into the World of Musical Theatre

In a world where sequins outshine the spotlights and charismatic personalities eclipse auditoriums, Michael Dalton, universally acclaimed as the cabaret sensation, Dolly Diamond, is poised to cast his spell on audiences once more. Slipping into the stilettos of Sylvia St. Croix, Dolly steps into the realm of ‘Ruthless! The Musical.’ Beyond the shimmering stage lights, Dolly delves into her profound connection with Sylvia, her artful odyssey, and the distinctive zest she intends to infuse into this rendition.

Originally an Off-Broadway gem from 1992, ‘Ruthless! The Musical’ is a dazzling all-female spectacle, playfully satirizing iconic Broadway shows and cinematic classics. The Players Theatre witnessed its vivacious run for 342 enchanting performances. The maestro behind the curtain, Joel Paley, collaborated with Marvin Laird for the musical scores, the latter known for his Broadway triumphs like ‘Annie Get Your Gun’ and ‘Gypsy’. Laura Bell Bundy brought Tina, the ambitious child star, to life, with the legendary Natalie Portman and Britney Spears waiting in the wings as understudies. The narrative weaves a tale of Judy Denmark, the quintessential suburban mother, and Tina, her starry-eyed daughter. Guided by the audacious agent, Sylvia St. Croix, Tina’s unquenchable thirst for the limelight unveils a series of dramatic revelations, betrayals, and dark comedic turns. As curtains fall, Tina’s gaze shifts westward, with Hollywood’s allure suggesting her ascent to stardom is only beginning.

Dolly’s vibrant spirit is evident when she speaks of Sylvia, noting the parallels between them, “Sylvia is a no-nonsense woman, with a histrionic flair….well if that ain’t me, I don’t know who it is?!”. With a chuckle, she adds, “Sylvia is constantly looking out for young new talent and is determined to make them into a star…I’m happy to nurture new talent but I don’t tend to wait around for the commission.”

Dolly, you’ve been quoted saying, “I’ve waited years to play this role on stage, I’ve been playing it off stage all my life.” Can you elaborate on what resonates with you so deeply about the character of Sylvia St. Croix?

She’s a stylish woman of a certain age and I think that’s pretty spot on as well. Sylvia is constantly looking out for young new talent and is determined to make them into a star… I’m happy to nurture new talent but I don’t tend to wait around for the commission.

Drawing inspiration from her friend, Paul Pecorino’s portrayal of Sylvia, Dolly’s excitement is palpable. “Sylvia is an absolute scene stealer”, she gushes. Dolly understands the artistry behind being generous on stage but can’t hide the thrill she gets from owning a scene, “I’m excited to get into that rehearsal room and work with the rest of the cast.”

After watching Ruthless in New York, you felt that Sylvia St. Croix was the role you were born to play. What specific elements or characteristics of Sylvia drew you to this conclusion?

Sylvia is an absolute scene stealer and I saw my friend Paul Pecorino play the role, he was fabulous. As an actor you have to play well with others, no how much you want to steal the scene. I’m excited to get into that rehearsal room and work with the rest of the cast.

The extensive experiences Dolly carries from cabaret festivals to the Edinburgh Fringe are indispensable. “Nothing beats life experience,” she mentions, adding that, while she still ardently loves her craft, Sylvia’s character might be a tad more jaded and ruthless than her own persona. But in the ever-evolving world of theatre, who’s to say?

Having played numerous roles throughout your illustrious career, from cabaret festivals to the Edinburgh Fringe, how do you think your past experiences will shape your portrayal of Sylvia St. Croix?

Nothing beats life experience and Sylvia is all about that. I’m so fortunate to still love what I do and that’s so important in this business. It’s very rare for me that I really don’t want to be where I am. Sylvia is probably a little more jaded & ruthless than I am but I’m sure that’s all on the way.

Every show, every performance, every role, brings out a different facet of an artist. Dolly, being both an Artistic Director and performer, carries an added layer of artistic discernment. Yet, she humbly states, “I think every performer brings their own unique qualities to a role.” And her primary goal? Laughter. “I love making an audience, friends, strangers at a bus stop laugh… so I’ll be playing every delicious line for maximum comedic effect.”

As an Artistic Director and a performer who’s seen numerous shows, what unique flavor or twist do you intend to bring to ‘Ruthless the Musical!’ that will set it apart from other productions?

I think every performer brings their own unique qualities to a role and I don’t think I’ll know what that involves unlit we’re in the rehearsal room. I know I love making an audience, friends, strangers at a bus stop (laugh).., so I’ll be playing every delicious line for maximum comedic effect.

Away from the stage, Dolly serves as a beacon of hope and support, being an ambassador for Guide Dogs Australia, Movember, and the LGBTQ Domestic Violence Foundation. “I’m so proud to be an Ambassador for all those organisations,” she says. Her commitment, though varied, is rooted in the same sentiment – giving back and helping when called upon.

Dolly, you’re not only a star on stage but also an ambassador for several foundations like Guide Dogs Australia, Movember, and the LGBTQ Domestic Violence Foundation. How do you juggle your commitments and ensure each one gets the attention it deserves?

I’m so proud to be an Ambassador for all those organisations and I just let them tell me what they need from me. In all honesty they don’t ask a lot and I’m always happy to help.

The anticipation surrounding ‘Ruthless the Musical!’ is high, and Dolly promises that it’s bound to be a treat, with its brilliant script and highly camp score. She teasingly shares, “It’s not fully cast as yet, so I’m excited to see who else is joining me.” And for those in Melbourne? “It’s time for Ruthless! The Musical.”

Lastly, can you give us a little tease about what audiences can expect from ‘Ruthless the Musical!’ and specifically from your portrayal of Sylvia St. Croix?

The script is hilarious though and so is the score. It’s highly camp and I think MELBOURNE will eat it up, it’s time for Ruthless! The Musical.

Let’s get one thing straight: when Dolly Diamond struts onto that stage, Ruthless the Musical! isn’t just a show, it’s THE spectacle of sass, camp, and laugh-until-you-cry moments! Melbourne, darling, get those fancy glasses on, ’cause you’re about to be dazzled and dazed by the fierce force that is Dolly Diamond. Trust me, you’ll be talking about this performance for a long time to come!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *