The highlight of Australia’s cabaret year gets underway on Friday night with the Adelaide Cabaret Festival getting started.
The event, which runs until June 26, features some of the biggest stars of the Australian and international theatre stage.
Amongst the highlights:
* Alex Rathgeber takes audiences through Cole Porter’s back catalogue in his show Experiment. From ‘Too Darn Hot’ to ‘Anything Goes’, Rathgeber expertly guides audiences through the works of the greatest song writer of the 20th Century — showing the deeper meaning and other side of the songs that have shaped generations;
* Stage legend Caroline O’Connor (pictured) performs A Musical Life, featuring songs from some of the world’s biggest and most remembered theatre talents;
* Sydney Cabaret Showcase winner Elizabeth Cousemacker makes her major cabaret debut;
* Trevor Ashley performs his acclaimed Liza On An E. From Peter Allen to pill popping; Liza dishes the dirt on her extraordinary life, interspersed with all your favourite songs, including ‘Cabaret’, ‘Maybe This Time’ and ‘New York, New York’ accompanied by a seven-piece big band;
* Mitchell Butel performs at the Space Theatre;
* Fresh from New York, star on the rise Marika Aubrey hits the stage in Redhead;
* International stars Stephen Schwartz and Shoshana Bean hit the stage.
“After the incredible success of last year the team and I have once again tried to put together a program that inspires, excites and leaves the audience wanting more,” said new dad and Adelaide Cabaret Festival Artistic Director, David Campbell.
“Once again we are thrilled to host acts from around the world under the one roof as we make winter in Adelaide burn white hot with talent. We have added some different elements to this year’s line-up which I hope will get the whole town talking.”