Schwartz coming to Tasmania
Wicked composer Stephen Schwartz (pictured) is heading to Australia later this year.
As part of its continuing commitment to the development of composers, book writers and lyricists of musical theatre in Australia and the nurturing of new Australian musicals, the Conservatorium of Music at the University of Tasmania has forged a unique partnership with ASCAP in association with APRA.
For the first time in Australia, ASCAP is seeking new musicals for their Musical Theatre Workshop to be held in Hobart, Tasmania during the Festival of Broadway between June 11 and 20.
Serving as artistic director for the workshop is Oscar and Grammy-winning composer/lyricist Schwartz. The workshop will take place on June 13 and 14 at the Conservatorium of Music in Hobart.
Workshop participants will have the opportunity to present selections from their original works in progress for professional critique. Each session will feature prominent guests from all aspects of musical theatre including, producers, directors, performers and composers.
As a bonus to the inaugural ASCAP Musical Theatre Workshop in Australia, organisers have announced that Tony nominee and Emmy Award winning singer-actress, Liz Callaway will give a masterclass on Friday, June 11, for workshop participants, in the craft of singing, presenting and performing Cabaret.
Additional to this Professor Kevin Purcell, Head, Conservatorium of Music, UTAS will conduct a masterclass on musical theatre composition. Writers interested in applying for participation in the ASCAP Musical Theatre Workshop in Hobart should submit the following:
• A CD of four (4) songs with lyric sheets
• A brief description of each song as to its plot placement
• A brief synopsis of the musical
• Biographical information for each composer, lyricist & book writer
• Contact information for each collaborator (email / phone numbers / mailing address)
Send complete submission package to:
ASCAP Musical Theatre Workshop
C/- UTAS, Conservatorium of Music
Private Bag 63
Hobart TAS 7001
DEADLINE: Submissions must be received at UTAS, Conservatorium of Music by Friday, March 19th, 2010.
1. Submit 4 songs only. If you send us a full recording, we will only listen to the first 4 songs.
2. Submissions do not need to be produced in a studio. We are looking for talent and potential, not production values.
3. If your musical is selected, you will need to present 45 consecutive minutes from the musical at the workshop. The 45-minute selection must include book and
songs. The presentation requires the necessary minimal casting of voices as required in the show. It is the responsibility of workshop participants to organise and prepare the assembled singer/actors in advance. Some financial assistance may be available to assist with travel to Hobart from the mainland, as required.
4. Those who have been accepted to present material in the workshop will receive a phone call on Monday May 3, 2010 (or as close as possible thereafter). Please do
not call to ask if you have been selected.
5. Those who will be invited to audit the workshop but who have not been selected as active participants will receive an email invitation.
For further information, please call the UTAS Conservatorium of Music on (03) 6226-7314 or email