The first Theatre Royal in Sydney was built by Barnett Levey. Levey was the brother of a convict and thought that the citizens of Sydney deserved their own entertainment venue. It was located where Dymocks bookshop now stands at 428 George Street. It was 1827 and Sydney was primarily a town of convicts, emancipists, soldiers,… Read more.
Cabaret in Sydney has always been somewhat of an errant child, never really settling down but always finding a market that has seen at least one permanent venue able to survive, at least for a little while. In 2003, when the City of Sydney cut the Sydney Cabaret Convention, the genre suffered a massive blow…. Read more.
The intersection of Park and Pitt Streets Sydney has a colourful history, writes AussieTheatre.com history correspondent, LEANN RICHARDS… In the 1860s the South East Corner was occupied by a poetical basket maker. He used his skills to make rhyming advertisements to attract customers. 20 years later this corner became the home of one of Sydney’s… Read more.
LEANN RICHARDS looks at the St James Theatre, which opened in Sydney in the 1920’s and was applauded by audiences and critics alike… In March 1926, The Fuller Brothers and Hugh J Ward presented Sydney with a new theatre. They called it the St James Theatre. It was located at 107-111 Elizabeth Street near the… Read more.
The Tivoli Theatre survives deep in the memories of Sydney-siders. It’s still talked about it crowded foyers, and remembered fondly by countless performers. But there’s much more to the story of this famous venue that is best remembered as being on the corner of Hay and Campbell Streets. AussieTheatre.com’s history correspondent LEANN RICHARDS investigates…. Until… Read more.