Call for Australian musicals – YouTube Playlist and Sheet Music – Submissions now open
In collaboration with Home Grown and AussieTheatre.com, Trevor Jones, a leading academic in Australian Musical Theatre based at Queensland Conservatorium, Griffith University, is compiling a regular YouTube playlist to promote the work of Australian Musical Theatre Writers.
New Playlists will be published regularly on AussieTheatre.com and the sheet music for each song in each playlist will be available for sale via Home Grown’s website, with a large percentage of the proceeds paid directly to the composers. 10 songs will be featured in each playlist.
It is anticipated that this will enable performers all over the world to access and perform Australian-written Musical Theatre songs as well as raising awareness internationally of a range of Australian composers and musicals.
If you are a composer or writer and would like one of your songs considered for this opportunity, please complete the online form for submissions available here.
Any further enquiries should be directed to Trevor Jones: [email protected]
Submissions are now open for the first playlist which is planned to be published in April 2018. Submission close at 5pm on Sunday 25th March 2018.
- Videos could be of a live concert performance of the song, a recorded excerpt of a production of the musical from which it is taken, or even a high quality recording of the song with some static relevant images. High quality footage and audio is preferred and this will be taken into account in the final selection of material.
- Composers and writers must ensure that they have obtained all relevant permissions to publish the video and sheet music. This includes the use of any pre-existing text, the adaptation of a pre-existing work as well as permission from all performers appearing in the video (including the musicians featured and creative teams). Home Grown, AussieTheatre.com and Trevor Jones will not be held liable for any breaches of copyrighted material
- The sheet music must be presented in PDF format and must be fully scored and electronically typeset for piano and vocal. It may also include chord symbols. Lead sheets will not be accepted.
- If successful, composers will need to sign an agreement with Home Grown to allow the sale of your music on their website. All financial arrangements will be made via Home Grown. The composing team will receive 70% of the sale price. Approximately $6.99 out of $9.99 goes to the composing team and 30% or approx. $3.99 goes straight back into developing other and future Australian works.
- Composers and writers may submit more than one song in each round, but it is highly unlikely that more than one song will be published in each playlist per composer / writing team
- Songs will be kept on record and considered when compiling later playlists (so there is no need to submit a song more than once)
- The songs for each playlist will be selected by Trevor Jones, Stuart Hendricks and representatives from Home Grown and AussieTheatre.com. Every attempt will be made to ensure diversity of gender and location within the bounds and quality of the submissions
** Feature photograph of Taryn Ryan in Bryant and Frank’s Once We Lived Here Perth Season. Photo by John Rousellet.