There is lots of concern and uncertainty about what the future has in store for ticket buyers of upcoming theatrical productions in Australia. With both Pippin and Hamilton now with confirmed seasons at Sydney’s Lyric Theatre, the spotlight shines bright on both the venue management and producers’ commitment to keeping audiences safe and ticket buyers protected.
In a statement on their FAQs page, Sydney Lyric Theatre states;
When we re-open, the Sydney Lyric will operate in accordance with its Covid Safety Plan with the goal of ensuring that your experience at the theatre is made as safe as reasonably possible and in compliance with the recommendations of NSW Health that apply at the time. The plan encompasses health and hygiene protocols developed by the theatre industry led by Live Performance Australia. The Covid Safe Plan applicable at the time of your visit will be made available on our website.
Audiences are encouraged to familiarise themselves with the COVID safe plan for the performance they intend to visit and understand their own role and responsibility in keeping themselves and fellow theatre-goers safe.
So what assurances are being offered to ticket buyers?
With top price seats for Hamilton costing up to $250 and Pippin up to $199.90, (both plus Ticketmaster’s $9.20 Transaction fee of course), ticket buyers naturally have some trepidation about purchasing seats in an industry that has long been known for its ‘all sales final’ policy, with ‘no refund or exchange’ in the event you could not make the performance.
Whilst the offical Ticketmaster FAQs regarding COVID concerns states, “If your event is going ahead as planned then you’re all set, your tickets remain valid”, thankfully Australian producers John Frost, Susanne Jones and Michael Cassel are offering greater assurances for their productions respectively.
Pippin is offering Flexible Tickets, stating;
We know things can change, so in the event that you can no longer attend the performance of PIPPIN on your chosen date, we have implemented processes to provide a stress free exchange experience. Tickets can be easily exchanged up to 72 hours before your scheduled performance date, simply by sending your request to [email protected]
Flexible Tickets for Pippin come with the following terms;
- Exchange must be completed a minimum of 72hrs before your scheduled date
- To exchange tickets, email your request to [email protected]
- Tickets can be exchanged into “like for like” performances of PIPPIN at the Sydney Lyric Theatre, eg: Wednesday evening into another Wednesday evening etc. If your preference is to attend on a different day/time of the week additional fees may apply.
- Exchanges are subject to seating availability for your chosen date/time
- A partial refund may be available if the face value of the original ticket is higher than the face value of the new ticket.
- New special offers are not valid for exchanged tickets.
- Ticket exchange is only available for tickets purchased through the official Ticketmaster website.
- Not valid for complimentary tickets or tickets purchased via a “Re-Sell Site”
- All tickets are non refundable. If however, your performance of PIPPIN is cancelled or rescheduled, you will be offered the option to receive a refund or transfer your tickets into a new performance time.
- Other restrictions may apply
Hamilton has the following information for concerned ticket buyers wondering what happens if travel restrictions are in place or if they are unable to attend due to the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis;
Maintaining a safe and healthy environment for audiences, cast and the venue is of paramount importance.
- If you are unwell, with any Covid-19 symptoms, please contact [email protected] no later than 10AM on the day of performance and we will work with you to exchange your tickets for a future performance (subject to availability).
- If you booked your tickets and are an interstate or international traveller and are unable to attend the performance due to travel restrictions, please contact [email protected] no later than a week before your performance and we will work with you to exchange your tickets for a future performance (subject to availability).
- If we are unable to facilitate an exchange to another performance, a refund will be offered.
- No exchanges or refunds can be provided after the deadlines listed above or after a performance date.
Whilst nobody truly knows what the future has in store for the struggling Australian entertainment industry, it is great to know that audience concerns are being addressed and theatre-makers are offering additional assurances to audiences cautiously excited to get back to the theatre.