Seating preference for musicals and plays

Home Forums General Australian Theatre Discussion Seating preference for musicals and plays

This topic contains 20 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Sing out Louise 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

stephie_elise
    Participant

Yes, Love Never Dies was one of the few shows that we chose not to sit in the front row for. We did front row dress circle for our first time and the second time sat in the row in front of the premium seats – without pulling out the tickets I think fourth.

We were in front row for Cats on Saturday – best seats I have ever had! Absolutely perfect view and wonderful interaction with the cast that you wouldn’t get elsewhere in the theatre (maybe a little on the aisles, but not as much as the front row).

jazzhands
    Participant

I saw the last Cats tour a few years ago and also had a great seat. Was in first row aisle seat. One of the cats came down and sniff my knee! Got me in stitches. Probably one of my favourite moments ever in the theatre.

stephie_elise
    Participant

There was certainly a lot more than just knee sniffing! We had several cats rubbing our legs, leaning against us to watch portions of the show, pretending to be dogs and pretending to pee on us (which made the Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles actually enjoyable!), investigating people’s packets of Malteasers, scooting rubbish under our seats and an awesome, albeit slightly weird moment where one patted my face while singing Magical Mr Mistoffelees. And my sister got a confirmed wink from Delta when she was in her ensemble track (at stage door she actually said, ‘did you see me wink at you?’) so she was over the moon with that. I was really skeptical going in, but it actually is a fantastic production and the cast really is outstanding – especially Delta!

One of my favourite ever moments in the theatre was also a front row cast interaction experience at A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum between my mother and a certain Academy Award winner. Having Hugh Sheridan singing ‘I’m in love’ directly into my face was another awesome moment from that show…let’s just say the feeling was mutual! Xanadu’s on stage seating was also a fantastic experience. Basically, the majority of the time, the closer the better!

jazzhands
    Participant

Wow some great stories stephie! Thanks for sharing with us. When I saw the last tour of Cats one of the cats also gave a flower to a girl who was a few seats away from me, which was pretty cute. But obviously your story is much better. 🙂

I really wish I had gone to Macau to see this current version of Cats but I couldn’t go. It isn’t this Australian cast though. I hope this cast tour further outside of Australia and I will do my best to see it if it comes near me.

I also had been in front row for Forum a few times. Great seat. Hugh Sheridan’s body was insane, though I was usually too shy to look at him directly during that scene when I was down in the first row though lol.

I think some of my top favourite moments during a show will probably be Mary Poppins but I’ll keep those stories to myself and not share them here. 😉

I had a few A Chorus Line cast members gaving me a knowing smile and look when they were doing ensemble moments in the back ground when I went back to see the show in a few different cities(I was usually in the first row). Rachel Dunham also pointed at me during Rock of Ages curtain call/last number and shook her thing for me which was so awesome. I don’t swing that way and I think she knows it but guess that was why it was so fun.

jazzhands
    Participant

I also had a few special moments with Jersey Boys. I gave a standing ovation to Graham Foote for the last matinee show in Melbourne after Can’t Take My Eyes Off You, and he pointed and looked at me. I was way up in the gods(last minute ticket) and sat alone among some empty seats so it was obvious that it was towards me. That meant a lot to me since those two last Jersey Boys were the very last shows I saw in Australia. Actually took a flight that night and left right after the show ended.

Also for the last Sydney Jersey Boys first time around(not the later return season cast, the original cast with Bobby Fox, etc.) I paid someone some money who was closer to the front to switch seats with me.(Don’t judge) Frankly that girl got a really good deal out of it. She actually didn’t pay for her own seat I believe and came with friends. She ended up with a very good seat that I orginally bought which was in 10th row or so, that had a full view of the show, plus quite a decent amount of cash from me. Her original seat was an aisle seat on the right side at the very end, in maybe 3rd or 4th row I think, which was not ideal for any first timer to the show since it was restricted view. But I didn’t mind it since I got to be closer to the action on stage. The whole show was just magical and the energy from the audience was insane. I never experience anything like that before or ever since. So many standing ovations & crazy loud cheers, and the cast were enjoying the hell out of it. But anyway, my highlight of the night was the cast member who did the French Rap opening number came to my side, turned his head and gave me a wink. Only a few people who sat around me saw that as well. I actually forgot his name since it was so long ago and tried to look him up just right now but couldn’t find it. Sorry about that. Wish I could credit him properly here since it was so sweet of him.

Sing out Louise
    Participant

My preference is to sit “within the arch” – in the centre of the row, and normally three back from the stage for dramatic/smaller productions, and no more than 10 back for musicals/larger productions. First choice (for larger theatres) is always the stalls, but if I have the chance to see something a second time, I will often choose the front rows of the balcony, just to get that different perspective. A time where this really paid off was when, having seen “Mary Poppins” from the stalls I then saw it again from the front of the dress circle. The first time around, Mary may have lifted off the ground, but the second time: that girl really FLEW! Of course, it also depends on the configuration of the auditorium itself: if I am booking for the Everest at the Seymour Centre, I always avoid the first half dozen or so “flat rows” at the very front, and go further back to the raised section (which actually places you ABOVE the level of the stage) whereas at the Hayes one is close enough, even in the rear rows, to see the sweat and spit (which I have heard referred to as “Actorplasm”).

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.