The Tintookies

This topic contains 17 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  vivienneu 3 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

petersj
    Participant

Does anyone remember the Tintookies.
    Peter Scriven who toured this lovely show.
    Its so sad that this country does not recognise some of our great artists. Scriven died alone with no money and an MBE.

mrsparoo2
    Participant

I do. I think I saw it with a school group. Didn’t The Australian Elizabethan Theatre tour it for years?

petersj
    Participant

Yes they sure did. It was a huge success. I saw it at Princess in the seventies.
    It started in the fifties and became the Marionette Theater of Australia and it presented a couple of other shows but the Tintookies was the big hit.
    I believe the puppets are at IDA.
    Peter Scrivens story is a sad one.
    Thank you so much for your interest mrsparoo.

mrsparoo2
    Participant

We need to establish a thread that deals with shows that originated prior to 1980.

petersj
    Participant

Some lovely news.
    I read somewhere that the fabulously gifted Australian actor David Tredenick is researching Peter Scriven!

OMG I thought I was the only person living that remembered the Tintookies. My parents took my sister and I to see them in the 50’s at a theatre in Newtown, Sydney. I would have been about 4 or 5 years old. I turn 64 this friday the 10th of May. We loved them to death and talked about them for many many years. I can’t wait to tell my sister about your post. Thanks for reminding me of a wonderful time in my childhood.

mrsparoo2
    Participant

Don’t go anywhere Lucie Gleeson! We need more “older” contributors petersj and I sometimes feel very alone here.

petersj
    Participant

As always I agree with the lovely mrsparoo ..welcome Lucie its great to have you here. A warm welcome.

MarkM
    Participant

I remember the Tintookies.
    I was going to Garbutt public school a suburb of Townsville in 1970. I think mum gave me about 25cents to go and see it after school. I cant remember much of the show but it made a big impression on me.
    So much so I recently made a puppet both for my kids.
    The trouble is I cant work out a way to get them to deliver a puppet show.
    That is why I was looking around for inspiration and found this site
    Here is the booth I made.

For some reason I thought they were from Russia. (Ah.. the twists of a juvenile mind and memories)

petersj
    Participant

Mark thats wonderful my dad made one for me when I was a kid and not only did I put on shows I took over the house selling tickets to kids in neighborhood.
    Your kids are really lucky to have a cool dad.

Sam Point
    Participant

I remember the Tintookies, my brother and I (Along with mum of course.) w went to a show at the cremorne music hall on Military road in Sydney. I even won the prize for the best coloured in picture of “The Tintookies” at the show and remember the long walk up to the stage to collect my prize. I miss this type of marionette show for the kids, but then at the time we had all the “Super-Marionation” shows on TV, Thumderbrds, Captain Scarlet, Firebird XL5 and Stingray to name a few.

petersj
    Participant

Thanks so much Sam for joining the4 discussion.

Sam Point
    Participant

You’re welcome Peter. My mother used to be on kindergarten of the air and when I travelled around with mum I met lots of her friends she made over the years. Heather Gell, Bruce Spence and many others. Trips to theatre productions were a wondrous occaision.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by  Sam Point.

petersj
    Participant

Sam we would love to read of some of those shows you saw. You never know MrsParoo or moi could tell you about the cast.

jimmy burns
    Participant

They were just like partnering with http://www.debbieirwin.com/, where their live events are hosted by professional announcer, narrator and voice artist. Love to see events like this.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.