Moulin Rouge! The Musical has won a total of 10 Tony Awards including Best Musical in an historic moment for Australian theatrical producer Global Creatures.
Moulin Rouge! The Musical is the first Australian-produced musical to originate on Broadway and will have its Australian premiere later this year at Melbourne’s Regent Theatre, with productions set to open in London’s West End in November 2021 and Tokyo in 2023. The Broadway production returned to the stage last week after a 18 month hiatus due to the pandemic.
Global Creatures CEO and producer of Moulin Rouge! The Musical Carmen Pavlovic said during her acceptance speech for Best Musical:
It’s such an honour and a thrill to be able to bring fellow Aussies Baz Luhrmann and Catherine Martin’s epic and beloved masterpiece to the stage. On behalf of Bill Damaschke, Gerry Ryan and myself, it’s such an honour to be here. We love our Moulin Rouge! company, we love our show, and we love talking about it. But on an historic night such as this, it feels a little odd to me to be talking about one show as Best Musical. I feel that every show of last season deserves to be thought of as the Best Musical. The shows that opened, the shows that closed, not to return, the shows that nearly opened and of course the shows that paused and are fortunate enough to be reborn. Best Musical is all those shows; ‘best’ is what we’ve had to find in ourselves as we’ve walked this unimaginable journey and carried our shows across the desert. ‘Best’ is what we know we need to become as we reimagine the Broadway of the future.”
Moulin Rouge! The Musical won a total of 10 Tony Awards:
- Best Musical
- Best Direction of a Musical – Alex Timbers
- Best Choreography – Sonya Tayeh
- Best Orchestrations – Justin Levine with Matt Stine, Katie Kresek and Charlie Rosen
- Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical – Aaron Tveit
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical – Danny Burstein
- Best Scenic Design in a Musical –Derek McLane
- Best Costume Design in a Musical – Catherine Zuber
- Best Lighting Design in a Musical – Justin Townsend
- Best Sound Design of a Musical – Peter Hylenski
For more information click HERE