We are thrilled to bring you the first instalment of This Week In Musical Theatre, a brand new regular column on AussieTheatre which will explore the professional music theatre highlights in Australia each week. Check in weekly for updates on the week that has been, what’s coming up and what to see in your city.
The week that was:
- Anything Goes closes in Brisbane tomorrow, then the cast have a short break before previewing in Sydney from 5 September.
- Rehearsals for the new Australian production of CATS started this week in Melbourne amid great excitement with the wonderful Delta Goodrem as Grizabella. Delta is in top form with her latest single ‘Wings’ hitting number 1 on the iTunes charts.
- Dirty Dancing has just opened in Perth to rave reviews and huge audiences.
- The Rob Guest Endowment have completed their first set of auditions and the thirty finalists will show their wares to the judges in Sydney on 31 August to choose the six finalists.
- The Production Company’s second musical for 2015 – Nice Work If You Can Get It starring Esther Hannaford and Rohan Browne – opens in Melbourne at the state theatre TONIGHT and runs through until 23 August.
- Hayes Theatre Co’s production of High Society, directed by Helen Dallimore started rehearsal this week in Sydney.
- Ambassador Theatre Group have taken over the lease and management of Sydney’s Theatre Royal as part of the ATG’s “international expansion plan.” A major refurbishment of the Royal is set to take place.
What to watch out for Next Week:
- Twisted Broadway, the annual music theatre charity concert to raise money for Oz Showbiz Cares/Equity Fights AIDS is on in at the State Theatre, Melbourne this Monday night (17 August) at 8pm. Read more information here.
- Matilda the Musical has its official opening night at Sydney Lyric Theatre this Thursday night.
- First time Director and Les Mis villain Trevor Ashley will appear on Channel 7’s The Daily Edition this Thursday at 2pm with some exciting news!
New South Wales:
Matilda the Musical – Now playing at Sydney Lyric Theatre
Currently in previews before officially opening on Thursday, 20 August.
Les Miserables – Now Playing at the Capitol Theatre until 18 October.
Transferring to QPAC, QLD from 10 November.
The Lion King – Now playing at the Regent Theatre Melbourne until 1 November.
Transferring to the Crown Theatre, WA from 18 November.
Strictly Ballroom – Now playing at Her Majesty’s Theatre until 26 August.
Transferring to QPAC, QLD from 9 September.
Nice Work If You Can Get It – Now playing at the State Theatre until 23 August.
Dirty Dancing – Now playing at the Crown Theatre until 6 September.
Transferring to Adelaide Festival Centre, S.A. from 2 October.
Did we miss something or is there something you would like included in next weeks column? Leave a comment below or send us an email through our contact page.