Australian-produced Moulin Rouge! The Musical will be competing for 14 awards including Best Musical at the upcoming 74th Annual Tony Awards on Monday 27 September AEST.
The Awards will also celebrate the return of Broadway this month as part of a four-hour special featuring performances from the three Best Musical nominees including Moulin Rouge! The Musical.
In a return to free-to-air, the ceremony will be broadcast in Australia on 10 Peach from 9AM AEST with special event performances beginning at 11AM AEST and later available for catch up on 10 Play On Demand.
The 2019 Broadway debut of Moulin Rouge! The Musical astounded reviewers – The New York Times’ Ben Brantley declaring the show his Critics Pick – “In Moulin Rouge, life is beautiful.” The production broke box office records for the Al Hirschfeld theatre, scored a Grammy nomination for the Original Cast Recording, a Drama League Award for Outstanding Production of a Musical and ten Outer Critics Award Honours.
Moulin Rouge! The Musical is the first Australian-produced musical to originate on Broadway and will have its Australian premiere this year at Melbourne’s Regent Theatre, with global productions set to open in London’s West End in November and Tokyo in 2023.
Moulin Rouge! The Musical is due to open in Melbourne as soon as possible. Tickets are currently on sale through to February 2022 exclusively through Ticketmaster. For more information visit moulinrougemusical.com
Moulin Rouge! The Musical is nominated for a total of 14 awards across 13 categories:
- Best Musical
- Best Direction of a Musical – Alex Timbers
- Best Book of a Musical – John Logan
- Best Choreography – Sonya Tayeh
- Best Orchestrations – Justin Levine with Matt Stine, Katie Kresek and Charlie Rosen
- Best Performance by a Leading Actress in a Musical – Karen Olivo
- Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Musical – Aaron Tveit
- Best Performance by a Featured Actress in a Musical – Robyn Hurder
- Best Performance by a Featured Actor in a Musical – Danny Burstein, Sahr Ngaujah
- Best Scenic Design in a Musical –Derek McLane
- Best Costume Design in a Musical – Catherine Zuber
- Best Lighting Design in a Musical – Justin Townsend
- Best Sound Design of a Musical – Peter Hylenski
For more information click HERE
Photo Credit: Matthew Murphy